I’ve been drooling over these cinnamon rolls for months now, ever since apple season started. Once December hit, I decided I HAD to try making them before I started in on Christmas baking. I definitely should have made these gooey swirls of goodness sooner, as they turned out to be delectable. I was a little hesitant of the cream cheese/salted caramel combination for the icing, but let me tell you, it is quite wonderful.
I haven’t tried the make ahead method yet, but will post results when I do!
¾ cup milk
¼ cup butter
3¼ cups flour
1 (.25 oz.) package instant yeast
¼ cup white sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 small tart apples, peeled, and diced into small pieces (about 1 cup)
½ cup caramel sauce
½ cup powdered sugar
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1. Heat milk and butter in the microwave until warm (about 115°F).
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2¼ cup of the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add water, egg, and the milk mixture, and begin kneading with a dough hook. Gradually add the remaining flour, ¼ cup at a time, until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix together sugar and cinnamon for filling. When dough is ready, roll into a 12×9 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Using a pastry brush, slather the dough with the melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and press in lightly so it doesn’t fall out when you roll up the dough. Add the chopped apples and press them into the dough a bit as well.
4. Starting on one of the shorter ends, carefully roll up dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
5. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375° F.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden. Let cool for about 10 minutes before icing.
7. For icing, Whisk together caramel sauce and cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and continue to whisk until smooth and lump-free. Drizzle over rolls and serve warm.